Monday, September 7, 2009

Old ways, new customs.

There is one thing, that I must say, will probably never change about the French. The way they eat. And, as bold as it may sound, I think no one will ever be able to do this quite as well as they do.
Food to them is more than a basic source of nurishment. It's not a copeing mechinism like many others take to. It's an art. A pure art based on the basic sense of taste and smell comes into play everyday and every meal for the French. It shows a beautiful ability to appreicate something many others overlook and forget within the rush of everyday life.
I know for myself, I often get so preoccupied with just trying to make each day work and live life (plain and simple), I lose the ambience of life that is around us every moment of each day. I forget what it is to feel, to sense, to have excitement...
I think about a movie made for children that came out not too long ago. Rataouille. Such an ingenious movie. A movie made to teach us the purity of enjoying our God given ability to taste and smell. I think on the moment when he takes a few pieces of food and begins to taste them...In the back ground, with each bite, a burst or swirl of color and texture with hints of melodies take over his mind. And this, I think is something we are all capable of. The point is, do we take the time to try and enjoy it?
So next time you are feeling overwhelmed and bored with the mundane of life, I challenge you; go to the market, pick up the stinkiest cheese, the sweestest fruit, the hardest bread, and the boldest wine you can find. And enjoy melody in your mouth for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment